1. What is the Earth? - basic facts about the planet
2. What tools do scientists use to study the earth?
To cover #1 it's usually a pretty cut and dry quiz with matching or short answers.
To cover #2 I break down what skills I need my kids to know:
- Qualitative vs. Quantitative observations
- Inference vs. Observations
- The Metric System and Conversions
- Measure mass, volume and distance in metrics
- The process of the scientific method
The unit is broken down into short lectures with accompanying notes and then a practice sheet for homework. After lecture days there is a lab or activity which incorporates 1 or more of the skills that were covered in lecture. We'll see how much I change up this year once the school year gets underway.