Followers

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Start of the Year

Our first day back tomorrow is mostly classroom time.  I have a few meetings throughout the day and then I get time to work on whatever I need before kids get here next week.

It's important to have a solid back to school routine to start the year off successfully.  This goes for both students and teachers.


Having a well thought out classroom is essential.  I have a few tips. Label everything.  Imagine every kid asking you "Where does this go?" ...especially in my science classroom.  I make sure to have all my new supplies properly stowed and labeled so the class remains orderly for the school year.

Have some clearly established systems in your classroom that detail how things work.  Know what your tests, quizzes and assignments are all worth and be up front about it.  Have a routine for things like absent work, grading, classroom management and stick to it.  Don't pick a system that is too complex - you'll just end up hating it.  The key is always to be as consistent as possible, so get some systems you can work with for those common classroom occurrences.

Once you get past the first day "getting to know you" routine it's important to have good content.  That's what I'm working on right now - I'll let you know how it goes.

13 comments:

  1. Very sound advice. If I were a teacher I'd follow your blog.

    ... Wait, I already followed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the feeling of being at a NEW SCHOOL its a great feeling, like an ADVENTURE except when people ask SHOULDNT YOU BE IN CLASS also gives you a chance to BE SOMEONE KNEW so use it to your advantage, NO ONE KNOWS YOUR PAST !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you have a good year with your new kids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to hear about someone's life for a change.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it is great the feeling of being in a new school enjoy it
    +follow

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the first day back at school, would love to have that experience again

    ReplyDelete
  7. Occasionally I get too organized in an efficient matter that I forget other people need to use my system as well and have to dumb it down so its ready for anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Toon: I'm finding the same thing right now. I had to break down and simplify our document systems here to cater to my coworkers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never liked being at a new school. But then again, I was never exactly a fan of the education system period, soooo...

    ReplyDelete